Nightmare Before Christmas table started!

It’s been a while! I’m waiting for parts to complete TotD right now, so I figured I’d start working on the next pin design a little.

Here’s the request I received:

Here’s a few thoughts… I’ll send more when it comes to me.
Inspiration: Cirqus Voltaire meets Medieval Madness meets Funhouse

Main characters:
Jack, Zero (the ghost dog)
Sally, Dr Finklestein
Lock, Shock, Barrel (3 drop targets)
Santa, Oogie Boogie

Zones/areas:
forest (trees with doors to other holiday towns – Easter, Thanksgiving, etc.)
Halloween town square
Dr’s Castle
Christmas town
Cemetery
Oogie’s lair
Some Modes:

Sally’s Escape ->
- drug the Dr to start (put him to sleep)
- detach arm to open door, escape
- sew arm back on (a spinner for ‘Sally’s Stiches’)

Making Toys ->
- 3 pops – 3 minor characters (assembling toys)
- every 50 hits is a random creepy toy (shrunken heads, snakes, etc.)

Lock, Shock, Barrel ->
- 3 ball multiball (balls locked in bathtub)
- first ‘Kidnap the Sandi Claws’
- then deliver him to Oogie (mode ends with captured ball – Santa)

Fight Oogie ->
- Sally is captured(ball locked) on her way to save Santa.
- do something to start the 2 ball multiball
- release first Sally (adds 1 ball) ,
- free Santa (adds another ball)
- defeat Oogie for Bug Jackpot

Sally’s Fog /Zero the hero ->
- GI lights are out, red light targets represent Zero’s glowing nose
- complete a number of lit shots (one at a time)
to find your way to the world to deliver presents (the spinner will move the shot around)
(score increases based on number of toys made)

As usual, I played around with a few things in Visual pinball. I determined that this should be a wide body game. I then worked on this off and on for about a month. The VPT sketch is pretty rough, but it served it’s purpose of getting some ideas down on “paper” before starting the real model.


 

After some feedback and tweaks (mostly related to the ramps), I printed up the  schematic so I could start making a paper model of the table. Unfortunately I cannot find foam core large enough for a wide-body playfield (it would take 3 20×30 sheets!), so I decided to cut a wood blank instead. It’s not as flexible to move things around with wood, but it is certainly cheaper and won’t buckle under the weight of all the parts. I cleaned up positioning and largely finalized the lower flipper area of the table. There are a couple more tweaks I’d like to do to that area, but it’s 90% there.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>